19 Aug SAAFON welcomes you
For nearly a decade, we have dedicated ourselves to building a sustainable food system by protecting and preserving African American agricultural heritage through organic farming. By farming organically, we return to our cultural traditions, protect our land from harmful chemicals, preserve biodiversity and grow food with real worth.
As the first and largest network of African American organic farmers in the US, our goal is to raise the visibility of our farmers’ enterprises both nationally and internationally. We are a regional organization representing farmers in eight states: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and the Virgin Islands. We have more than 120 farmer members and nearly 8,000 supporters — and we’re growing each day!
In 2013, SAAFON’s Executive Director won the James Beard Leadership Award for her exemplary service to the sustainable agriculture and African American community. Believing that farmers could best articulate and meet their own needs, Cynthia brought together a group of farmers in 2006 for a workshop that planted the seed for SAAFON. Today, some of SAAFON’s original members are now serving on SAAFON’s Board of Directors and Advisory Board.
We invite you to work with us to grow and strengthen our network of African American organic farmers growing good food for all.
We believe organic farming:
- Is vital to the financial success to each of our farmers
- Provides our communities with clean produce
- Protects our land for future generations
- Education and training to farmers new to organic farming and are looking to transition from conventional to organic methods.
- Financial sustainability planning to ensure each enterprise in our network is economically viable
- A collective voice of the African American Organic farmer in the Sustainable Agriculture Community
- An international voice to farmers in the African Diaspora
- Young African American Organic farmers with mentorship, resources and hundreds of years of combined experience to ensure their success in Sustainable Agriculture